To the valued and clients of Play 2 Learn 4 Life,
Since BC’s Restart Plan has allowed for regulated health professionals to safely resume services in
the community, we are looking forward to playing and learning together in a cautious and thoughtful
At this time, the proposed guidelines will likely be restrictive for some children, meaning that in-person sessions are not suitable for all of our clients. We need to ensure it is safe for all families and
team members at the clinic before we extend in-person sessions to everyone.
Please know that the health and safety of our client families and our staff is our top priority. The
following guidelines are in place to protect both. This will require us to approach each other in good
faith, knowing that our willingness to be transparent in communication and diligent in cleaning is
important for maintaining a safe environment for all. I’ve been encouraged by Dr. Bonnie Henry’s
mantra: “Be kind, be calm, be safe.” The following document is in place to make sure we can be all
three during the next phases of BC’s Restart Plan.
Thanks for exercising due care.
The clinic phone (604-568-1986) will likely go straight to voicemail. We are are not always in the office or if we are, we are too busy with clients to be answering the office phone. Messages will be collected and returned within a week. Please instead use email to communicate with your therapist.
For families paying privately for their remaining invoices. We can accept cash or cheque payments for in-person sessions. For online payments please send e-transfers to firstname.lastname@example.org or use Quickbooks online payments (see link in your emailed invoice), which enables credit cards.
Check out our Facebook Page for general resources/links:
CLIENT SAFETY PLAN
We are following enhanced safety protocols as part of BC’s Restart Plan (Phase 3). We have additional precautions recommended by our OT/SLP colleges, the PHO, WorkSafe BC and the BCCDC, and our insurance providers.
Mask Policy (and PPE)
We ask that all adults/caregivers attending sessions with their children wear a mask while in the building. We encourage adults to bring/wear their own masks, however, masks are available upon request at the front entrance. Mask wearing for clinicians and clients is determined based on pre-screening questions. Please have the conversation with your therapist beforehand to determine whether a mask is required/requested. Caregivers sharing the waiting area are required to wear masks. Only 2 caregivers are allowed in the waiting area at a time. We do not use other PPE as they are not required in the community (gloves, scrubs, gowns, etc).
For clients who have had successful appointments using Zoom or Telehealth services, we encourage you to continue accessing services this way. This will eliminate any risks that may come with in-person appointments.
Home visits (limited availability)
Please speak to your therapist about whether your family is suitable for home visits. This may not be suitable for all clients/staff. Your therapist will be in touch with you when we are confident that we can begin at-home visits while meeting the enhanced safety recommendations.
School visits (limited availability)
In-person school visits may be available in September. Your therapist may still choose to participate in team meetings via Zoom or teleconferencing. Your therapist will assess how they can best follow the enhanced safety recommendations.
Eligibility for in-person appointments
We understand that there are limitations to telehealth or Zoom. Right now, we allow one - two clients into the clinic at a time. However they will have staggered start times to avoid arriving/leaving at the same time and they will be seen in separate rooms to avoid overlap.
In order to be eligible to receive in-person services during Phase 2 of BC’s Restart Plan, clients and client caregivers (if relevant) must meet the following criteria, as outlined by the BC Centre for Disease Control:
1. The child must be able to communicate whether or not they are feeling unwell.
2. The child must be able and willing to follow instructions for maintaining a 2-metre distance from others in the clinic.
3. The child must be able and willing to thoroughly wash hands or use hand sanitizer:
• when entering the clinic
• when entering the therapy room
• after using the washroom
• after coughing, sneezing or touching their face
• When leaving the therapy room
4. If the family chooses for the child to wear a mask, the child must be able to keep the mask on and avoid touching it for the full appointment.
5. The child must be able to cough or sneeze into their elbow, throw tissues away without touching any surfaces and wash hands thoroughly.
6. The child must wear a mask if they have symptoms from allergies (runny nose, sneezing)
7. The child must be able to avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth during appointments.
8. The child must be able to avoid mouthing of objects during their session
9. The child must be able to avoid drinking/eating during their session, unless from a closed water bottle
10. The parent/caregiver is to speak with the therapist to confirm these conditions before booking
Reasons to cancel a visit
1. If the child or anyone in the child’s household has travelled outside Canada within the past 14 days, you should reschedule your appointment for a later date.
2. If the child or anyone in the child’s household has a confirmed or presumed case of Covid-19, you must cancel your appointment.
3. If the child or anyone in the child’s household becomes ill with the following symptoms, you must cancel your appointment:
• Aches and pains
• Sore throat
• Loss of taste or smell
• Skin rash or discoloration of fingers or toes
• pink eye
• ongoing headache
We ask you to contact your primary healthcare provider (doctor, etc.) or call 8-1-1, and get tested for Covid-19 if you have any of the symptoms listed above.
A self-assessment tool can be found at https://bc.thrive.health/,
A finder for testing centres can be found at https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/3862560c5a41418e9d78f4f81688e9d0
If you have had an in-person visit with anyone in our clinic
within the past 14 days, you must disclose this information to us, so that we can follow the
What you can expect before a clinic visit
A member of our staff will call or email you 48 hours prior to your appointment:
1. To ensure that neither the child nor any member of the child’s household has Covid-19 symptoms.
2. To ensure that neither the child nor any member of the child’s household has travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days.
3. To ensure that you are aware of our clinic’s safety guidelines.
What you can expect during a clinic visit
1. If possible, please limit the number of caregivers/attendants to 1. If possible, we ask that caregivers wait outside or drop the child off for the appointment and pick them up in order to limit the number of people in the waiting room (maximum number of people allowed in the waiting room is 2).
2. Please wait outside the clinic until your appointment time. Your therapist will come get you at the beginning of your appointment.
3. The door will be locked for safety. Please knock so that we can open it for you.
4. The child and the child’s caregiver will need to thoroughly wash hands (or use hand sanitizer) when entering the clinic.
5. The child will need to thoroughly wash hands (or use sanitizer) when entering a treatment room.
6. Shared tools and surfaces will be disinfected thoroughly between clients.
7. Whenever possible, services will be provided at a 2-metre distance.
8. When it is not possible to keep a 2-metre distance, staff can use a plexiglass barrier.
9. The child will need to wash hands thoroughly after using the washroom.
10. The child will need to follow hygiene guidelines during the session. As listed above
11. Come expecting to play and learn!
Cancellation and fee policies
Fees will not be collected for cancellations due to illness, or for following self-isolation guidelines
around travelling or potential exposure to Covid-19. We do not want fees to get in the way of
following safety guidelines. If you have any questions, please call or email us.
Stay in touch and let us know if you have any questions or concerns going forward
Sincerely your team at Play 2 Learn 4 Life
Zoe Raffard: email@example.com
Melina Jahanshahi: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tess Fairburn: email@example.com
Marta Canaan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Karl Sutker: email@example.com
Tricia Lang: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Marshall: email@example.com